So, I joined Secret Pal 9 and I was supposed to have my answers to the all important questions posted by Sunday. Needless to say, that didn't happen.
I haven't touched knitting needles in over 2 weeks now! I think that's a record for me. My rusted root was coming along nicely. The weather was still warm and I put it on scrap yarn so I could try it on. It looked fabulous and I thought to myself "I can totally finish it before the weekend is over." That was nearly 2 weeks ago and it's still on the scrap yarn.
Life is beating me right now and I have no energy for anything once I get home from work. I want to knit but I just can't pull myself out of my stupor of tiredness. Now it's cold, which I am enjoying, but I fear I've lost my chance to wear rusted root this year. I could fix my ogee tunic, though. That would be productive. Hopefully I'll pull myself out of this funk soon. I really do want to knit again!
Okay, the questions. They're pretty much the same as those from the last round of secret pal so if you feel like I'm repeating myself, I am. 1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love soft yarn. Alpaca, cashmere, merino, any soft wool. I don't like acrylic in large quantities but have seen some nice blends.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a case for my straight needles and my circulars are all dumped in a drawer. I would like to organize them better.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for 4 or 5 years and I'm entirely self taught. I'd say I'm advanced. I feel like I could pretty much knit anything that I wanted to. I don't mean to sound cocky but I'm pretty good at following patterns and I've tried a lot of things.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
I love natural scents like vanilla and lavender. I like citrus too. I hate really sweet scents and things that smell artificial.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I like really dark chocolate. The darker the better. I'm not a chocoholic, though. I could kind of take it or leave it. I like fruity candy too like gummy bears and starburst.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I love to sew and I took a drop spindle class and even made some (lumpy) yarn but I definitely wouldn't call myself a spinner.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s?
I can listen to mp3's and the only music I really don't like is country. I have pretty eclectic taste in music and am open to new things.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love color. While I wear grey, brown and black, they're not my favorites. There's nothing I really dislike.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have husband who knows everything there is to know about knitting except for how to actually knit. I have a super cute dog, a fluffy bunny and 2 cats.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I love scarves! I wear mittens occasionally. I'm particular about hats because my hair is usually out of control and hats look dumb stuck on the top of my crazy hair. I do have a few that I love, though. I do not like ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like to knit sweaters but I've been knitting a lot of lace lately as well.
13. What are you knitting right now?
I'm trying to finish rusted root and the frost flowers and leaves shawl from A Gathering of lace.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I love them!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I don't really have a preference. I use whatever seems to work best for the yarn and project.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No, but I wish I did.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I started a baby blanket about a year and a half ago but then decided I would never finish it in a timely manner so I gave a different gift. Now, I'm just waiting on the right baby to come along so I can finish it.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
I love Christmas and Thanksgiving. Oh, and my birthday!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Other than yarn, I collect floaty pens. I don't know if there is a better name for them but they're the touristy pens that have little scenes and people or a boat or train or something floats back and forth when you tilt them.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I subscribe to Interweave knits. I'm sure there are thing I'd like to have but I can't think right now.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I would like to try more fair isle but buying so many colors for one project seems daunting.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I have knit socks but I wouldn't call myself a sock knitter. I wear a size 7 1/2.
23. When is your birthday?