12 January 2006

Scarf Patterns!


Wavy Razor Shell Scarf

I used 2 balls of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino: 55% Merino Wool, 33% Microfibre, 12% Cashmere, Approx. 137 yds/50g
Size 5 (or 6) needles- I don't remenber.
Gauge isn't really important but my completed scarf was about 6" wide and 4.5 ft long.


CO 42 stitches

Row 1 (ws): purl across until last stitch, slip last stitch
Row 2 (rs): K2, yo, K2, sl 1, K2tog, psso, K2, yo, K2, yo, K3, sl 1, K2tog, psso, K3, yo, K2, yo, K3, sl 1, K2tog, psso, K3, yo, K2, yo, K2, sl 1, K2tog, psso, K2, yo, K1, sl 1

Slipping the alst stitch on each row makes a nice, smooth edge on each side.
Repeat these 2 rows until you reach your desired length. See notes below about knitting in one or two pieces.
Wash and block, being careful to pin each point so they will end up nice and defined.
Sew on beads, if desired. I just used thread in a matching color to sew them on.

To help you visualize the pattern a little better, The blue font shows the small edge shells and the red font shows the larger, middle shells. This pattern is easy to modify. You could knit just one large panel instead of two in the center or knit only 1 knit stitch in between the yo’s separating the shells for a more delicate look. Play around with it and you’ll get a beautiful scarf tailored to your yarn.

If you want the ends to match perfectly, knit scarf in two pieces then graft together. If you choose to graft, I recommend ending each piece with a right side row and then grafting. This makes the pattern at the join more continuous. You can use a 3-needle bind off to attach pieces but that will leave a seam. I grafted my pieces together and you could tell that something was going on there although it looked neat. It’s the part of the scarf that will be at the back of the neck and not really seen so I wasn’t bothered by my less than perfect finish.

If you don’t want knit the scarf in 2 pieces, it will still look nice knitted in one piece. The red line in the picture below shows how the bound off edge will wave if you knit it in one piece. You will end up with 1 more point on this edge than on the cast-on edge.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


John Muir Scarf

More pictures can be seen here.
I used 4 skeins of Knit Picks Andean Treasure: 100% baby alpaca, 110 yards / 50 grams

I used size 5 needles. Guage isn't important as it's just a scarf! I was in such a Christmas hurry to send this off, I forgot to measure it. I think my finished scarf was about 7 inches wide and you can see it being worn if you click the link above to give you an idea of it's length.
CO 54

Row 1: K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P44, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1

Row 2: K1, P1, K1, P1, K46, P1, K1. P1, K1

Row 3: K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P44, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1

Continue working 5 stitches on each side in seed stitch for the rest of the scarf.
Rows 5-?: work 5 stitches in seed stitch, P2 (K2 on wrong side), work chart, P2 (K2 on wrong side), work chart, P2 (K2 on wrong side), work 5 stitches in seed stitch

When you reach your desired length, repeat rows 1-3, bind off.

On my chart, empty squares are knit stitches on the right side and purls on the wrong side. Squares with dots represent purl stitches on the right side and knits on the wrong side.

Twist 6 Left rib: Slip next 4 stitches onto cable needle, hold at front of work. Knit next 2 stitches from left hand needle, slip the 2 purl stitches from cable needle back to left hand needle and purl them. Knit 2 stitches from cable needle.

Twist 6 Right rib: Slip next 4 stitches onto cable needle, hold at back of work. Knit next 2 stitches from left hand needle, slip the 2 purl stitches from cable needle back to left hand needle and purl them. Knit 2 stitches from cable needle.

(Cable pattern taken from The Harmony Guide to Aran and Fair Isle Knitting, edited by Debra Mountford. )



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got here from craftster and wanted to say thanks for the patterns. They are great and I love that you did the lace in two pieces - it bugs me when scarves have different ends.

Also I like the different color font. Everytime I get a free pattern off the web I put it into word and color code the parts to make it easier to see at a glance where I'm at.

Anonymous said...

Got here from my stats in Sitemeter. Great blog! A stashed skein of Toasty Toes is now in a quandry. Socks, My So Called Scarf, or your pattern. Who knew yarn's life was so difficult?

~k said...

Whoa Pattern Girl! Now that I found your site...we really need to hang out and knit--you are like 50,000 times better and more experienced than I am. So you need to TEACH ME THINGS! You are my new Knitting Yoda.

:o) See you tonight...

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am new to this knitting lark. Was looking for scarf patterns and came across your john muir scarf. That's my dad's name, how did you decide to call it that? I suppose I should use this pattern really :)

Lyndsey-Jane said...

Hi I am halfway through this scarf and loving it. I will post a link to my fo photos when its done.

Anonymous said...

Re: John Juir scarf pattern.Could you please check the pattern? I'm just returning to knitting and am confused --big surprise. Don't I need to add one more "work the chart" repetition to total the 54 cast on stitches?
5 2 12 2 12 2 12 2 5
Where is row 4?

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the patterns. I copied them into a word document.

Anonymous said...

Could you put up a picture of how the grafted part looks like?