15 March 2006

Last scarf of the season

This winter knitting season, Mike has gotten a sweater and now a scarf. He's made out better than I have and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Actually, I have really enjoyed getting in touch with my inner gift-knitter this last fall and winter. Thinking about all my thousands of stitches keeping a loved one warm and oh-so-stylish makes me feel about as warm and fuzzy as wearing my own hand-knits does. Here are the details of Mike's latest accessory.

Yarn: Rowan felted tweed. I used 2 strands held together. I really, really like this yarn. It's not the softest yarn for a scarf but Mike picked it out (he wanted tweed or nothing) and he's really happy with it. If it weren't so expensive, I would knit myself a sweater out of this yarn. Every picture I take makes it look like a different color but this picture is the best (color-wise). It has flecks of white, light blue and dark orange which really gives it a lot of depth and interest. Needles: Size ? bamboo (I set them down and now they are lost)
Pattern: My own. It's a saxon braid cable with 5 stitches of garter stitch on each side. Here is a picture that shows the cable pattern clearly.
All in all, I am really happy with it and, more importantly, so is Mike. I'm also happy that my next project will not be a scarf.

As I've been knitting this brown scarf, I've been very envious of all you project spectrum participants and your lovely pink and red eye candy. My next project will be red and just to prove (mostly to myself) that I am participating in project spectrum, here are my favorite pink and red things from my house. The first is Cradle. She is a fairy and was named by the artist I bought her from because she looks so comforting and watchful. Like she's cradling the viewer. She's really big- about 3 1/2' x 4 1/2'- so it really is like she's watching over us. It's actually dark pink fabric that was marked off with tape and the negative areas were bleached lighter. It's very cool and I love her. Here are some other things.

3 comments:

African Kelli said...

Casey, thanks for the comment on my blog. I don't see an email address for you, so I'll answer your question here. Yes! The shrug was knit in size 11s. It is a bit big. Next time I'll use 10.5s. Don't forget to use a huge circular needle. Good luck!

And I love the fairy on this post! So pretty. Love the pinks. :)

Anonymous said...

I have a serious case of golashes envy!

I am smitten with the cables. I learned to cable and then never cabled a thing.......maybe this will get my butt in gear.

chris said...

Mikes scarf looks wonderful! Fantastic job on the braid and the tweedy flecks are great. You definitely deserve a little something for yourself now! ;-) I'm a big Silk Soymilk drinker, too, except I usually wimp out and get the vanilla flavored one. It's a little easier to stomach! I love your pink and red Project Spectrum pics! Take care and have a fantastic weekend! :-)