27 June 2006

Summer = Fair Time

The state fair is coming and I am so excited. I was practically raised at fairs. My mom is, and my grandma was, a fair judge. They judge baked goods, jams, jellies, sewing, crafts, you name it, they can stick a ribbon (or not) on it. Some of my earliest memories are of hanging out watching the fair get all set up while my mom and grandma fed me bits of cookies they were judging. They say that when I was a baby they used to stick me in the closet at one particular fair to take naps.

When I was older, I was in 4-H and I had animals so I practically lived at our county fair. I accumulated boxes full of ribbons and my grandpa and uncle were embarassed every year when I made them drive me to the fair to pick up the boxes full of stuff that I had entered.

This is a long intro to explain to you how excited I was to see that Larissa started a State-Fair-Along! I entered some things in the Oregon State Fair for the 1st time last summer (I am not a native Oregonian) and was excited to win a blue ribbon for some cookies but was disappointed at the lack of competition in many of the categories, including knitting. So was Larissa. There are so many crafty people that aren't entering things in their fairs! So fellow Americans, knit, sew, bake, make something to enter in your local fair this has started a summer. It will be fun!

I just made this skirt but it is not fair quality. It's summertime-fun-in-the-sun quality and that's all I was going for. Please forgive the wrinkles, the white fabric is linen and I have been wearing it all evening. I used some of the fabric previously seen here.
So, what will I be knitting for the state fair? After much deliberation, I have decided on this:It's the ogee tunic from Knitting Nature. I'm using Knitpicks merino style in tide pool and I am already almost done with the 1st sleeve! Pretty exciting, huh? What could be more exciting than a partially finished sleeve? A package from my secret pal! I was so excited to get this in the mail! It's 2 skeins of knitpicks laceweight merino and a pattern for a shawl. The blue yarn is Cascade Pastaza-wool and llama! I've been fondling this yarn for a while now and have been wanting some. How did you know, secret pal? The colors of both are gorgeous- just what I'd choose for myself. I also got some great chocolate and fabulous stitch markers so I don't have to use those cheap plastic rings anymore. Thank you, thank you!

5 comments:

AmyArtisan said...

The state-fair-along sounds like a lot of fun - can't wait to see your finished sweater...love the pattern & color.

Your skirt definitely is a "summer fun" one - how cute! :)

p.s. Did you see that Pink Martini now has a concert DVD? :)

Karen said...

I love your new summer skirt. I've just gotten back into sewing myself - and summer skirts are so much fun!! Yours looks so cool and comfy to wear. Your sweater for the fair is going to be beautiful too. I loved hearing all about your fair days. I've been to many myself, but never entered anything into competitions. How great to have all those memories and ribbons.

Carol said...

Hi I am Canadian. We have a provincial exhibition it is the same as your state fairs this is the first time I will enter it sounds like it will be a lot of fun I’m waiting for my entry forms to come in the mail. and I adore your skirt

jenknits said...

Cute skirt!

A few years ago I won a blue ribbong at the Oregon State Fair for my Rhubarb Ginger Jam. I haven't entered since then cuz I always forget until its too late. I do want to enter some knitted lace but won't have it done for this year unless I take off my turtle suit.

Jenn said...

I was thinking of entering pickels this year....I hadn't thought about knitting. Maybe I should plan for that next year!