I joined Secret Pal 8 and I am so excited! Part of the deal is that I have to answer some questions so here goes:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love wools that aren't too scratchy and alpaca because it's really soft. I recently knit a scarf with Rowan felted tweed and fell in love with it. I love pretty much any natural fiber. I never knit with fun fur or eyelash yarns because I like a more natural aesthetic. Acrylic has a weird feel that I'm pretty sensitive to but blends that have a very small % of acrylic are usually okay.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
My circulars are all in a desk drawer but my dpns and straight needles are in this that I sewed myself.
3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for about 5 years and would say I'm pretty advanced. I've knit sweaters and socks, lace and cables. I can follow any pattern put in front of me and I love learning new techniques to improve my knitting.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love earthy scents like sandalwood and vanilla. I love citrus scents and lavender too. I don't like anything too floral or too sweet. Mike got this air freshener for his birthday and it is NOT a scent I like. That's right, it's meat scented. We're vegetarians so it was a gag gift.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I do have a sweet tooth but I don't like candy very much. I love really good chocolate, the darker the better and scarffen berger is my favorite brand. I really like any combination of chocolate and peanut butter. Besides chocolate, I love lemony desserts and candy.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I love home improvement/ decorating projects and gardening, which is good because my house needs a lot of work! This is my backyard! Hopefully, not for long. I like to sew but haven't for a while. I would like to get back into it more. I took a drop spindle class and spun some yarn but I haven't been bitten by the spinning bug. I only have so much time to spend crafting and the things I do, I want to do well. I still have some roving but I'm thinking of felting it.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like a lot of music. Anything that makes me happy, so no death metal like my husband listens to while I'm gone. I love bands that have been around a while like U2, the smashing pumpkins, james, jackpot, the chili peppers, cake, beck. I like some newer groups like the yeah yeah yeahs, modest mouse, the killers, the smiths. I also like spanish music like bebe. I love it when people share music with me that I haven't heard before. I can listen to mp3s.
9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Yellow is my favorite color, but not necessarily to wear. It's just such a cheery color and it makes me happy. I like most all colors and I've knit with a wide range of colors. It really depends on the mood and what I want to make. Sorry, that's not much help. Just scan through my blog if you want an idea of what I like. I knit mostly with solid colors although I love the yarns that look like solid colors but have a little variation. I like knitting things with cables and textures so they would get lost if I used multi-colored yarns. They look so pretty in skeins, though. Maybe I should branch out.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a goofy, hyperactive dog who has made a few appearances on this blog. I also have two cats and the prettiest, fluffiest bunny ever seen.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I love scarves and mittens. I love hats, too but my hair is usually so crazy that it looks stupid shoved under a hat. I have 1 hat that looks good on me so I stick with that one. I never caught on to the poncho craze. I don't think they're hideous, they're just not for me.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I love knitting tank tops because they're pretty quick to knit and they don't take much finishing. I like sweaters too but they take more time, stress and yarn so I haven't knit too many. I always fear that they will turn out badly but they don't so I really should knit more of them.
13. What are you knitting right now?
I'm knitting a 3/4 sleeved cotton pullover as seen in the previous post.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes, I do! Who doesn't?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I usually knit on circulars though that's mostly because I have more of them. I love bamboo and plastic is okay. I do knit with aluminum needles but they're not my favorite. I love all the beautiful straight needles taht are out there but I can't justify spending a lot of money on needles.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No but I wish I did!
17. How did you learn to knit?
I picked up a cheesy learn to knit book and taught myself. I have never taken a class or had anyone even give me a lesson. I'm a good book-learner, I guess.
18. How old is your oldest UFO?
A baby dress I started 3 years ago and then lost touch with the mother-to-be before the baby was born. It's really cute but I probably won't pick it up again until I know a baby girl to knit it for.
19. What is your favorite holiday?
I love Thanksgiving and Christmas. I love winter weather and family.
20. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides yarn and knitting books, I collect floaty pens (I don't know if there's a better name for them). You know, the pens that say Dinseyland (for example) on one side and then have a floating Tinkerbell on the other. I covet this person's collection. I spent a month in Europe once and get some really cool floaty pens and then the airline lost my bag. It was very sad.
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't have a lot of self-control when it comes to knitting books. If I want something badly enough, I tend to go out and buy it. I don't have any magazine subscriptions but usually buy every Interweave issue. I really should just get a subscription.
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I would like to do more colorwork.
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I have knit some socks but wouldn't call myself a sock knitter. I'll probably knit another pair sometime but I'm not in a hurry. I do love looking at all the beautiful sock yarn out there, though. I like sock yarn that has 2 colors (maybe 3). Like mostly brown with a little bit of pink. I'm not into rainbow socks or crazy tie-dye lookin' socks. My shoe size is 7 1/2 .
24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)